Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Happy holiday

This was a lovely Christmas. For lots of reasons, not least of which is that it was the first one that Magpie was at all aware of what was going on. Girlfriend likes presents. Everything we set in front of her, she'd smile and immediately go to town on the paper or the tissue or whatever. So cute.

Here's another--my parents, after three years of separation, are back together. I thought I was okay with their separation, and I was dealing with it okay for the most part. But I don't think I ever allowed myself to think about how they used to be, how much fun it could be to be around my family when they were happy. Paul mentioned the other day he didn't think he'd ever been around when things were good with them. On Christmas Day, they were mentioning how they'd been joking about what kind of pets they want when my mom's cat goes to Kitty Heaven and it just reminded me of the easy, joking friendship they used to share. The kind of relationship I wanted to emulate in my own marriage, and the kind of relationship where it broke my heart to see that they could fall apart, because if they could, who couldn't?

It took me a long time to get to a place where I could let my parent's problems be theirs, and not own them as my own. But I think I can claim some joy that my family is back together and that ome small part of the world is back as it should be.

2 comments:

tripmom827 said...

Yea!! It gives me hope because I used to think if Jan and Tim can't make it, who can?? As it turns out, Jan and Tim CAN make it...hooray :-)`

Elisa Taub said...

Can't figure out where else to contact you so I'm posting it here. Can you contact me re: writing something for my website. Thanks. I enjoyed reading your blog.