Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hide and Seek

Two-year-olds really suck at hide and seek. Which is why it's beyond awesome to play it with them.

I taught Maggie how to play it a few months ago, but just recently it's become her favorite. When all three of us play, it's resembles the standard version except with teams, with her joining whichever adult is doing the seeking.

When it's just her and one of her parents, here's how she plays: Run like a maniac every time to the exact same place in the dining room, which is probably the most open and least hide-able wall in the house. Alternate version for her bedroom: Hide under the crib. Put hands over eyes and count even if you are the person who is supposed to be hiding. Then wait until the other player says "ready or not, here I come" and scream at the top of your lungs as you run towards them. The other player must say "I found you!!" and hug you. When you're playing in your room, stay under the crib until you can stand it no longer, annd then pop your head out and giggle when you're found.

As frustrating as I can find the two year old phase (the holidays often found me saying "Two years old is KICKING my ASS") good Lord I love this kid. Three years ago right about now, we were being told this would likely never happen for us. I think about that sometimes, think about being that woman who walked around with her heart so broken, who would give anything for a child. I wish I could reach back, give her a hug, let her know it's going to be more than okay. I don't know that I would have believed it, or rejected it as more false hope. But to have come out the other side is such a miracle. I bitch sometimes--this very evening I informed Paul the only reason he didn't come home to find me mixing myself a martini was that we didn't have any gin in the house--but I never, ever take this for granted.

1 comment:

msuspartan99 said...

Your post is very funny and cute. I have played this "game" with Conner as well. My favorite is when he counts. He'll say 1 2 3 7 8 9 10, eleventeen, twelveteen 6 5 4 7 8 9 10... ready or not here I come.